Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Now May the God of Peace...

...make you holy in every way, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless until our Lord Jesus Christ comes again.  1 Thessalonians 5:23 (NLT)

That is my memory verse for this week and it is proving to be the perfect one.  I haven't necessarily chosen verses on peace, but they have all come from my morning devotional time on peace.  At least so far.

I wanted to give you all a little update on My One Word project for 2013.  An accounting if you wish, to stay accountable.  It is pretty easy this time as I have had a pretty good time of it overall.

  1. I finished the book (My One Word by Mark Ashcraft) and loved it.  It has such great ideas and the stories are very encouraging.  I think I will need to read it again about halfway through this year so that I can glean from the 'hard things' I haven't yet experienced...like forgetting my word, or feeling like I have hit a plateau.
  2. I used Christmas money from my in laws to order a few things that will help me to remember Shalom in 2013.  I already had a coffee cup from my mother-in-law with 'Peace' written across it...I ordered two more.  And for my office, I ordered the 5 tile set from Dayspring that spell it out. (They are beautiful!)
  3. One of the areas where I have been lacking peace lately is with our Bible study group.  The ladies are great and are dear friends, but I was in no spiritual shape to continue leading.  I finally came clean and told them that I couldn't continue to meet with them on Wednesday's at lunch.  I hesitantly offered up the substitute of attending Beth Moore's Tuesday night Bible study at Houston's First Baptist instead and they ALL SAID YES!!!!  Last night was our first one and, boy, did the Lord speak.  I even had the added pleasure of another friend joining us.
  4. I stepped outside of my comfort zone weekend before last and attended the Sunday night service at a church near us.  I had planned to attend Sunday morning, but didn't get up in time.  Through a conversation with a friend of mine, I was reminded that I needed to stop putting off community and start right where I was.  (Of course, I was telling her all of this when the Lord turned the finger around the other way.)  I had missed Sunday morning, that was true.  But Sunday morning is not the only service they have.  I showed up to a whopping group of 5, including me and the pastor.  Last week I intended to make Sunday School, but only made it to service (the same reminder in my head) and it was wonderful.  The pastor had set aside his planned sermon for a time of praise and worship and giving thanks through testimonies.  My heart was so full!
  5. The Lord blessed me with a miracle.  It would sound so trivial if I told you about it so I won't, but for me it was something my heart desired but that I thought was impossible.  In His great mercy, and for reasons I cannot fathom, He blessed!
This week has not been as 'on target' as last though, so I would be thankful for any prayers.  I have so much to learn about true peace.  During a time of disagreement this past weekend, I totally let old habits invade and steal all of my peace.  Thankfully the Lord brought me back to the correct lens and allowed me a time of repentance and an opportunity to have a 'do over'...but I saw how just one thing out of place can send me reeling.  I hope that by the end of 2013 I have a stronger sense of His peace despite the circumstances that may surround me. 

"Shalom conveys the idea of peace; tranquility; satisfaction"... etc.  That is where I am camping in this definition right now.  Learning to be satisfied in Him.  I am asking Him to make me holy in every way; to keep my whole spirit and soul and body blameless until my Lord Jesus Christ comes again.

I pray you all are having a wonderful week.

Shalom, y'all!

No comments: